Culturally recommended behavior in Nepal
You are a guest in Nepal and it is appreciated if you behave like Nepali.
- Dress decently (no short or revealing clothes).
- Do not show affection in public.
- Do not point your feet (unclean) to people and point with full hand, not with one finger.
- Do not step over person.
- Do not touch or step over offering (red powder, flowers, rice).
- Do not use your left hand (dirty).
- Receive and give with two hands.
- Ask permission before taking people’s photographs.
- Do not give local kids for pens or sweets.
- Discourage begging, pay fair prices.
- Take your shoes before entering a monastery or house.
- Go clockwise around Stupa, Mani etc.
- Do not eat, smoke or be loud at religious sites.
- Women should avoid touching monks/lamas.